blog 3

Our topic is economics. When we created this project we intended to target all high school seniors. Economics is a popular major in college and is very popular among students. We wondered if all seniors would be interested in this subject, but thinking about it from a different perspective gave us a different result. Having learned the basics of economics, we bring these words into our lives. For example, in a supermarket, we are consumers, and the quantity of things we want to buy is demand. And what the supermarket sells is called supply. Also, the students will understand why things go up in price. In other words, will use some economic perspective to see the problem.

If there is another epidemic like the new crown that causes students to have to start taking classes online, learning will be opened by way of Zoom video conferencing. There are actually many benefits to online learning. Online learning allows the freedom of where to study, saves time going to school, and can give students more time to prepare. For more successful learning, online teaching will require more assignments. Students are also required to turn on the camera when the class is online so that if they have any questions during the class they can immediately open the microphone and ask questions to solve the problem in a timely manner. At the same time, zoom video teaching will add an interactive component, allowing each student to participate in answering questions as attendance points. This participation score will be used as a small part of the student’s learning outcome. There is also a dedicated time each week for students to answer questions. Additional questions can be emailed to the instructor. During the exam period, you need to turn on the camera to make sure you are taking the exam in person, and you can only stay on the exam screen and not go out to look at the materials.

1. wanqinjiang
    June 13, 2023

Hi Jenny! I enjoy reading your posts and I think you explained our topic Economics very well. For instance, I like the example of consumers buying what they want in the supermarket and supermarkets selling their goods to illustrate the important Economics concept of demand and supply, which is accurate and easily understandable. Also, I totally agree with the strategy to use Zoom or other virtual tools to hold in-class activities if accidents like a pandemic occurs, since it is the most convenient and efficient way for instructors and students to communicate with each other directly, and allows various activities such as presentations and Kahoot! to be held as well.

Reply
  2. boyue
    June 14, 2023

Your topic is very appealing to me because I am also an economics major and I can relate to it deeply. I think your theme is very effective for a program that measures student learning.

Reply
  3. tomjing
    June 20, 2023

Interesting post! I think your economics project for high school seniors is a great idea, and linking concepts like supply and demand to everyday activities like supermarket shopping makes it more relatable.

Your plan for a possible shift to online learning, such as using Zoom, is well thought out. The flexibility and time saved are benefits of online learning. I also like your emphasis on more assignments for effective learning and keeping cameras on for real-time problem-solving and participation. Using participation in grading will motivate students. The dedicated Q&A time and email support are good strategies for student assistance. For online exams, the camera-on and screen-monitoring rules can ensure honesty. All these can help ensure successful online learning. Thanks for sharing!

Reply